Download Firearm Licence Renewal SAPS 518(a) Form
Firearm Licence Renewal
In order to ensure that a person remains compliant with the Firearms Control Act, 2000, and the Firearms Regulations, 2004, all firearm licences and permits must be renewed within the prescribed period. An application for the renewal of a firearm licence must be made 90 days before the date of expiry of the licence. The licence will remain valid until the process has been completed.
Firearm owners who wish to renew their firearm licence must be in possession of a valid and relevant competency certificate.
How do you apply for renewal of a firearm licence?
The SAPS 518(a) form (application for the renewal of a firearm, licence, permit, certificate or authorisation), a competency certificate and other supporting documentation must be submitted to the designated firearms officer (DFO) at the police station in the area where you ordinarily reside. A fee is payable upon application for renewal of a firearm licence. The DFO will complete a SAPS 91(a) fingerprints form along with your application.
SAPS 518(a) Form Supporting Documentation
- Certified copy of your official identification document or passport
- Certified copy of your permanent residence permit in the case of a non-South African citizen
- The original firearm licence, permit or authorisation for a firearm you wish to renew
- Original competency certificate
- Two passport-size colour photographs (with a neutral background) that are not older than three months
- SAPS 518(a) Annexure A – annexure to renewal of firearm licence
Also see other SAPS Firearm Licence Forms