Download Firearm Licence Motivation Form
What is a firearm motivation letter?
Your reason’s for requiring a firearm must be fully motivated in a three- to five-page motivation letter. Five to ten pages of supporting documentation must also be presented in support of the firearm licence motivation.
The documents you need to attach to your motivation letter will depend on your reason for the firearm licence motivation (i.e. self-defence, sport shooting, hunting, collecting or business). They can include:
- Proof of business ownership
- Letter from your employer
- Crime statistics
- Newspaper articles
- Proof of membership to a sports shooting/hunting organisation
- Record of shooting activities
- Sport participation results
- A testimonial/recommendation letter from a friend/acquaintance in reference to your character
- Dedicated status certificate
- Endorsement certificate
- Hunting photos
- Trophy certificates
- Hunting licenses
- Removal permits
- Training certificates
- A firearm competency motivation letter is not a requirement but can be included
According to Damian Enslin, Attorney, Notary and Conveyancer at Michael Matthews & Associates, it is advisable to also submit a motivation when applying for firearm licence renewal. “The amount of space allocated on the SAPS 518(a) and Annexure A renewal form is not enough to substantiate the reason for the firearm, and thus it is highly recommended that a separate motivational letter and supporting documents be submitted with the application,” says Enslin.
For more expert tips on writing a firearm motivation letter see our blog post.
You can download an example of a firearm motivation letter for self-defence below.