Download Competency Certificate SAPS 517 Form
What is a competency certificate?
Before applying for a firearm licence, potential firearm owners must first undergo training at an accredited training provider or the Professional Firearm Training Council (PFTC). To get a training certificate, you must pass a test on the Firearms Control Act, 2000 (Act No 60 of 2000) and complete training and a practical test on the safe and efficient handling of a firearm.
A training certificate, along with other documents, must be attached with an application for a competency certificate SAPS 517 form. You can download the SAPS 517 form below. A competency certificate is valid for as long as the specific firearm licence is valid.
A competency certificate specifies whether it relates to firearm competency to
- possess a firearm
- trade in firearms
- manufacture firearms
- conduct business as a gunsmith
How do you apply for a competency certificate?
The SAPS 517 application form, a training certificate and other supporting documentation must be submitted to the designated firearms officer (DFO) at the police station in the area where you ordinarily reside. A fee is payable upon application for firearm competency.
SAPS 517 Form Supporting Documentation
- Certified copy of your official identification document or passport
- Certified copy of your permanent residence permit in the case of a non-South African citizen
- Certified copy of your firearm proficiency training certificate issued by an accredited training provider
- Two passport-size colour photographs (with a neutral background) that are not older than three months
- Certified proof of residence
- Any other supporting documents
Applicants younger than 21 years must include a firearm licence motivation with their SAPS firearm competency application form:
- conduct a business
- must be gainfully employed
- a dedicated hunter
- a dedicated a sports person
- a private collector
- public collector
- sworn affidavit from parent/guardian
Application for a further competency certificate
To apply for further firearm competency you must download and submit a SAPS 517(a) form. You can find instructions on how to complete the form here. Supporting documentation including a certified copy of previous competency certificate must accompany the application.
Also see Renewal of a Competency Certificate
Also see other SAPS Firearm Licence Forms