Download Residential Lease Agreement Template
What is a residential lease agreement?
A residential lease agreement is necessary when a tenant rents a property from a landlord for the purpose of living there and not for profit. It is also called a tenancy agreement, rental lease agreement, lease form or rental contract.
Property rented to a tenant with a residential lease agreement include a house, apartment, condo, mobile home, basement suite, duplex, townhouse, room, rent-to-own options and other living spaces. The maximum duration of a residential lease is a fixed period of 24 months.
Residential lease agreements and the law
Residential lease agreements are governed by the:
- common law;
- Constitution of the Republic of South Africa;
- Prevention of Illegal Eviction from and Unlawful Occupation of Land Act (PIE);
- Consumer Protection Act (CPA);
- Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI); and
- Debt Collectors' Act.
Who would use a residential lease agreement template in South Africa?
- Homeowners about to rent property to tenants
- Tenants about to rent a place to stay
- Landlords, house rental agencies and tenant placement services
- Any individuals who are in a landlord-tenant relationship and don’t have a written agreement
- Tenants or landlords looking to rent a property with the option to buy
Attachments to the residential lease agreement
The following documentation can be attached to the residential lease agreement:
- A list of existing defects relating to the property and the arrangement with regards to repairs
- The landlord’s rental house rules and regulations
- An inventory of the furniture and contents of the property
You can download a printable residential lease agreement for free below.